Monday, April 20, 2009

Making Reading Del.icio.us

Last Thursday I took my reading classes into the lab (finally) and showed them how to use Delicious. They immediately like the idea of being able to select their own weekly non-fiction articles and several kids posted their choices to the account I had created for the class. I decided NOT to have each student create their own account, but instead created an account called mrswarehime that all could access. I am a little concerned that there might soon be a lot of articles on the site, but we will see if they can remember how to search by tags. Tags, by the way, were something entirely new to my students, as was Delicious. Once again we see that even though they are "natives" there is a lot they don't know about technology that we "immigrants" can teach them. Read about my experiment on my school blog http://kwarehime.wordpress.com .

I am curious about how the Delicious account will work out. This past week most kids found and printed an article so they will have one for this week. It remains to be see if they will do the same when I am not taking them to the lab and holding their hands through the process.

VOKI WARNING
I noticed on the Voki Terms of Use Agreement kids under 13 are not supposed to create Vokis. This poses potential difficulties for me using it in class, as many of my 7th graders are not 13. It shouldn't be as much a problem with my 8th graders, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment